Who is a good candidate for a facelift? At the Milwaukee and Madison areas’ Parkins Plastic Surgery, we believe that—for the right patient—this cosmetic surgery can provide incredible results.
As the years go by, the natural aging process takes a toll on our skin, leading to the development of wrinkles, sagging, and loss of facial volume. In the pursuit of a more youthful appearance, many people consider cosmetic procedures like facelifts for facial rejuvenation.
A facelift, also known as rhytidectomy, is a surgical procedure aimed at rejuvenating the face by lifting underlying tissues, removing excess skin, replacing lost volune, and restoring a more youthful facial contour. However, not every patient is an ideal candidate for a facelift. See below for some of the characteristics that would make this an ideal procedure for the right person:
- You are in good health and do not have any chronic health conditions that impair healing. You don’t have any active diseases or pre-existing medical conditions.
- You have sagging jowls—made up of loose, sagging skin around the neck and the sides of the face—that obscures the jawline. There may be less definition between the jaw and neck.
- The thick bands that run vertically along the neck, known as the platysma muscle, have become loose, pronounced, and sagging.
- You have a positive outlook and realistic expectations for a facelift.
- You naturally have a strong bone structure and some level of skin elasticity so that your skin can adapt well to the new and improved facial contours.
- You can improve the appearance of the jawline by gently pulling the skin up and back.
- Your complexion is in good condition without significant sun damage. If you have wrinkles and pigmentation issues, you may want to combine a facelift with a skin resurfacing treatment rather than having a facelift on its own.
- You frequently need facial fillers to maintain a youthful appearance, but injectable treatments aren’t enough for rejuvenation anymore.
Want to learn more about the surgery and what it can do? Our team at Parkins Plastic Surgery can provide more details about who would be considered an ideal candidate. Call us at (262) 269-1050 or submit a contact form to request a consultation if you’re interested in discussing this and other cosmetic procedures.